February 26, 2011

Every Ounce Counts!

The tournament was real fun, I caught limits both days. During pre fishing I caught bass in 40-45 feet and by the end of the week they were in 15 feet. During the tournament, I had my limit by 10 each day and had about 4 hours left to catch the kicker and could not get it. I had one on, it hit a senko as it hit the water (6 min to go), it came swimming right toward me fast! I just couldn't get a hook set.


At least I feel a little better knowing that I was using something that the bigger fish payed attention to, it just breaks my heart missing it because every ounce counts. That fish could mean the difference between the top 10 and where I finished.

I was in that 9 lb a day syndrome and I couldn't get a kicker fish. To be in the top 10 you had to have about 10 lbs a day. I feel like I was so close, I was one fish a day out of the money, or rather one kicker fish away from the top 10. Every ounce counts!

I had good AAA partners both days. The 1st day I fished with Bobby Matthews we came in with 8.61. The 2nd day I fished with a kid from Australia Paul Aznarez, we caught about the same weight as the day before, which gained me one place finishing 30th but earning me 13th place for the overall Daiwa Cup race.

The FLW event was a week after the WON Bass, I knew what I wanted to do. I found 7 more weigh points. I knew the water would be picked over from the previous tournament and guys pre fishing.

Saturday, I fished with co-angler Phil Risnes. During the tournament I made a mistake, I left my water to early. I should have trusted it. The fish were coming in quickly for the spawn and I didn't realize it Sunday I went to my water all day fishing back and forth between 40-20 feet. The Co-angler I drew was in 2nd (Mike Powell) he is a good fisherman, caught about 10 lbs and made the cut, finishing in 2nd place. Good Job Mike!

The baits of choice were:
Klicka Special and Canyon Plastic Brush Buster

I'm planning on pre fishing soon for Havasu. There are some big weights expected in that WON Bass tournament. It is supposed to hit right during the spawn. After that off to the Delta for back to back tourneys.

See ya on the water!

1 comment:

Chris Ricci said...

that is a great bait you designed. They where all over the Klicka special. better bring me enough for Havasu. See ya there.