April 5, 2011

Tami Curtis films me for a TV Show; Also decisions can be tough when the fish change.....


Lake Havasu, one of my favorite lakes. I was there for 3 weeks in a row, I left the boat and motor home there and drove back to work. My sponsor (Canyon Plastics) was good to let me stay in the motor home and John Galbraith (owner of BassTackleMaster.com) was kind enough to let me park the motor home in his front yard.

One of the funnest practices I had was with Tami Curtis. She filmed me for an upcoming TV Show. Check out the video at the end of this blog post.


The bite was wide open during the week before the tournament. during practice I found about 150 beds with good fish on them, but the beds seemed to be dried up a few days before the and during the tourney. The water was 2 feet lower that last year and no wind. I had zero reaction bite unlike last year.

During the tournament, since my beds were empty I chose to go down to the Bill Williams and caught 14 lbs that day. I should have had 18 lbs. I missed 2 big ones that came up on us, I couldn't get a hook in them. The 2nd day I decided to take precaution with wind and decided to hit the weigh points that I had. I tried to catch some smallies which I did. I had about three 2 1/2 pounders by 8:00. I thought I was off to a pretty good start. We went back to a spot I had that was about the size of a football field and there were 3 boats in there. I didn't do so well, I caught a couple more fish bringing my total to 11 lbs. It was tough for me, but at my good buddy Mike Folkestad says, "we move onto the next one"

When guys are bringing in big bags each day, I have to ask myself what I did wrong. I think the biggest mistake I made was, assuming that the fish were done spawning in the area I fished. All beds were empty, and I thought they were finished. The fish were just moved off deeper and the spawn was still on . I didn't pick that up until late. I missed that and that was a turning point for me.

I am very proud of my sponsor Jay Pennington (owner of Canyon Plastics) for winning the AAA division. I may not have done as well as I would have liked but at least my bait came through for me. 1st of the AAA and 3rd on the Pro side (Clint Goodwin) was on "The Klicka Special". I was very proud of that.

I am in 13th overall heading into the Delta next week, with 3 tournaments remaining. I am in 22nd in the points race for the South and with one tourney left. So I have a little work to do to make it to the classic.

I am disappointed in my performance, but that happens. I just had 3 in a row and it was a learning experience. Looking forward to the others and it is going to get better!

The lake changed and I didn't keep up with it that is the bottom line.

Anyway, here is the TV Promo video by TCsportsReport.com about my day on the water with Tami Curtis filming me at Lake Havasu.

No comments: